Saturday, November 20, 2010

future in Athens, thanks to Malin

Athens is a wonderful city, if you know where to go: Exarcheia (anarchist neighborhood, search for plateia Navarinou(squatted parking lot) and Nosotros (nice cafe with live music/theatre/cinema and cheap drinks), lycabettos hill (nice climb and view), philopappou hill (where the famous Greek philosophers held discussions, you have a nice view over the city and you can see the sea), Akropolis (it's free entrance on Sundays), Thisseio (has outside fleamarket on Sunday mornings), Monastiraki/Plaka (just to walk around, try to find the old, small white houses, with the whitepainted alleys and stairs, built against the hill of the Akropolis.
There is a contemporary art museum in Athens, but you have to ask for the exact address.
For a daytrip, go to Sounio (where the Greeks built a temple to honor Poseidon. You can take a bus from fillelinon street (wait at the orange sign), which is very close to the central Syntagma square (return ticket +- 10 euro). To get around in the city, you can do almost everything by feet, if you do want to take public transport, a ticket is 1 euro (0,50 cents for students) and you can travel 1,5 hour with all means, you can find it at most of the kiosks. No more, explore and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. 8 days since you posted here last time. 8 days until you come to Israel. You are coming during good days - Hanuka Holiday :) Aslo it is Ilan's birthday Dec 4th. Love. Thinking about you. mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts. It sounds like you are meeting some wonderful people and having valuable experiences. I can't wait to hear more about your travels.

    I'm doing well. I stayed in New York over Thanksgiving break to work on my final film. I'm no sure how it came out yet. It should be developed by tonight. I will be editing most of the night. It's getting cold outside, but I am still biking around everywhere. I wear a ski mask over my face and gloves. I miss you. :)

    ReplyDelete